Post Doc with Michael Hochberg
robjohnnoble (at) gmail (point) com
I use mathematical and computational models to investigate evolutionary and ecological systems. I am currently working, in close collaboration with laboratory scientists, on models of cancer risk, tumour evolution, and new ways to prevent drug resistance. My methods include agent-based models, game theory, analysis of dynamical systems, demographic models, and Bayesian data analysis.
During my PhD at the University of Oxford (2009-2013) I used mathematical models, informed by statistical analysis of laboratory data, to understand the immune evasion mechanisms of the malaria parasite Plasmodium falciparum.
Publications and preprints (as of January 2017)
- Hochberg ME, Noble R (2017). A framework for how environment contributes to cancer risk. Ecology Letters. 20(2) 117-134; doi: 10.1111/ele.12726.
- Vasse M*, Noble R*, Akhmetzhanov AR, Torres-Barceló C, Gurney J, Simon Benateau, Gougat-Barbera C, Kaltz O, Hochberg ME (2017). Antibiotic stress selects against cooperation in the pathogenic bacterium Pseudomonas aeruginosa. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA. 114 (3) 546-551; doi: 10.1073/pnas.1612522114. [* equal contributions]
- Hochberg ME, Noble R, Braude S (2016). A Hypothesis to Explain Cancers in Confined Colonies of Naked Mole Rats. biorXiv. doi: 10.1101/079012.
- Noble R, Kaltz O, Nunney L, Hochberg ME (2016). Overestimating the role of environment in cancers. Cancer Prev. Res. doi: 10.1158/1940-6207.CAPR-16-0126.
- Noble R, Kaltz O, Hochberg ME (2015). Peto’s paradox and human cancers. Phil. Trans. R. Soc. B. 2015 370 20150104. doi: 10.1098/rstb.2015.0104.
- Noble R*, Christodoulou Z*, Pinches R, Kyes S, Recker M, Newbold CI (2013). The antigenic switching network of Plasmodium falciparum and its implications for the immuno-epidemiology of malaria. eLife. 2013 Sep 17;2:e01074. doi: 10.7554/eLife.01074. [* equal contributions]
- Noble R, Recker M (2012) A statistically rigorous method for determining antigenic switching networks. PLoS ONE 7(6). doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0039335.
- Fastman Y, Noble R, Recker M, Dzikowski R (2012). Erasing the Epigenetic Memory and Beginning to Switch—The Onset of Antigenic Switching of var Genes in Plasmodium falciparum. PLoS ONE 7(3). doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0034168.